Location – Birstall, Leicester
Main Contractor -Interserve Construction
Contract Value – £700k
Duration – 28 weeks
Description of Works:–
- The new build construction of a standalone Science Block and new Sports Hall Changing Facilities and the refurbishment of the Music Department, ICT Classrooms, Food Technology Classroom and existing Kitchen.
- The Mechanical and Plumbing Works are due for completion in April 2020 which will then allow some of the redundant and dilapidated parts of the old School to be demolished.
- The New Science Block has 9 General Science Classrooms, 2 Preparation Rooms and additional Toilet Facilities. It has its ‘own independent Plant Room incorporating the 2 No 120 kW gas boilers, Cold Water Storage Tank and Booster and all associated plant under the dictates of Trend IQ Vision BMS controls.
- Classroom Heating and Ventilation is provided by local designated Heat Recovery Ventilation Units interlinked to gas proving, water solenoid and power isolation controls. Supplementary Heating is provided by additional radiators and thermostatic controls.
- The New Sports Block Changing Facilities has its own independent Boiler Plant comprising 2 No 30 Kw Boilers, a Supply and Extract Ventilation Air Handler with heat recovery and dedicated Hot Water Generation.
- A Packaged Cold Water Booster Set complete with Break Tank provides the mains water distribution.
- The refurbished existing Sports Hall is being fitted with gas fired Radiant Heating.
- The New Kitchen and Servery features Supply and Extract Ventilation via a central Island Canopy with gas proving interlocks.
- Water Storage and boosted hot and Cold Water Supplies are provided from an adjacent Plant Room incorporating Twin Gas Boilers, an indirect unvented cylinder and the Cold Water Booster and Tank.
- The Music Rooms and ICT Classroom have independent heat recovery ventilation and DX Cooling and Heating Systems whilst the Food Technology has similar heat recovery ventilation to the Science Block with supplementary Fan Convectors.
- The nature of the work calls for detailed co-ordination and phasing to ensure integration with the new and existing building design with minimal disruption to the existing school and the day to day operation.