Location – Bedworth, Warwickshire
Main Contractor – Kier Construction
Contract Value – £1.9m
Duration –52 weeks
Description of Works:–
- This was a challenging Project requiring the phased construction and timely hand over of a new Teaching and Sports Block with refurbished Sports Hall sat the Nicholas Chamberlaine Academy in Bedworth, Warwickshire. The Contract valued at £1.9M was delivered on time with William Bailey Ltd working in close collaboration with Kier Construction over a period of approximately 12 months.
- The 2 Storey Teaching Block incorporated the primary gas boilers (2 x 460 Kw) serving both the new Teaching Facilities, Auditorium and Dining Hall as well as the remote Sports Complex via underground mains. Direct Heating is provided by Radiators, Radiant Panels and a VRF Heating and Cooling System serving a new Library and Resource Centre. Heat Recovery Ventilation is provided via a combination of roof mounted centralised Heat Recovery Units and room located Hybrid Ventilation units in the teaching spaces.
- In addition to the Hybrid Ventilation and Radiant Heating, the Science Classrooms featured gas proving controls with interfaces to supplementary purge ventilation fans and local gas, water and electrical isolation controls.
- The New Sports Block and refurbished Sports Hall was installed with independent gas fired Hot Water Generators with the centrally produced low pressure hot water used as the heating medium serving, radiators, air handling plant and high level Radiant Panels in the Sports Hall which also incorporates Natural Roof Ventilation.
- A remote Cold Water Storage Tank and Booster set provides the mains water distribution to all new build areas as well as the existing buildings which are being retained and not demolished. Hot Water being provided by 2 No gas fired Hot Water Generators. The existing gas and water infrastructure was progressively renewed and modified as the installations proceeded without disruption to the School that was kept live and operational at all times. Overarching Control is provided by a Trend Building Management System connected back to the Academy`s IQ Vision Supervisor PC providing monitoring, alarming, time scheduling and an intuitive graphical user interface.
- The School was handed over and occupied in November 2019 allowing the final existing parts of the old school premises to be demolished.